, , , ,

The Domino Sugar site was one of five sugar refineries along the Brooklyn waterfront.

View of the Domino Sugar refinery from the East River.

At its peak in the 1870s, Domino Sugar produced 3 million pounds of sugar each day — more than half the supply for the United States. In 2007, the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission granted landmark status to a cluster of three brick buildings dating from 1884 collectively known as the Pan, Filter and Finishing House. Closed since 2004, Brooklyn’s Domino Sugar site is currently on track for a $1 billion renewal effort.