Asphalt was first mixed for NYC roads on this site in 1914. The parabola-shaped building was inspired by Robert A. Jacobs‘ memories of Paris airports. Constructed during World War II, Asphalt Green ceased operations in 1968. Activists incorporated the site in the 1970s with the goal of creating a physical health facility. Today, Asphalt Green has an Olympic sized pool, theater, art studios and a full-fledged gym.