Founded by Frederick August Otto Schwarz, F.A.O. Schwarz began in Baltimore in 1862 and relocated to New York City in 1870. The flagship toy store moved to the landmark General Motors Building in 1986. Six other locations in New York have been home to F.A.O. Schwarz since 1870 from Union Square to the Bergdorf Goodman Men’s Store across the street.